If you want to develop
your assertiveness skills and live in or near Phoenix, Mesa or Scottsdale, Arizona, call 602.750.8051 for an appointment.
Styles of Interaction
One style is to just give in. You let people make bad choices for you. You let your rights be trampled. You repress your feelings, leading to
depression, stress, headaches, insomnia,
and body pains.
- Passive-Aggressive. Another style
is to appear to give in, but to get even.
You sabotage the other person's efforts and criticize them behind their back. The cost is a spiral of antagonism, reprisal, and ill-will.
- Aggressive. A third style is to attack verbally or physically. If
the other person's style is passive-aggressive, you may think you
have won only to find your efforts sabotaged. If the other
person's style is aggressive, then the conflict can spiral out of control.
- Assertive. The preferred style is
to state what you want and need calmly and clearly. You make "I" statements and avoid unnecessary conflict. You defuse tense situations.
You protect your boundaries without attacking.
An Assertiveness Training Counselor Can Help
Assertiveness training can help you get your needs met, especially when dealing with people who are stuck in passive-aggressive or aggressive styles of interaction.
- Change Thought Patterns. You can learn to think of yourself and others differently.
- Pick Your Battles. You can learn to distinguish which points are important and which are time-consuming distractions.
- "I" Statements. By making "I" statements and clearly communicating your boundaries, you can express your wants and needs without attacking.
- Body Language. When you sit up straight, lean forward, and look people in the eye, you tell the world (and yourself!) that you are confident, assured, and have no need to attack.
- Counseling. A counselor can help coach you in learning and practicing new styles of interacting. A counselor can give you feedback and guide you through the process of change.
Benefits of Assertiveness Training
Some of the benefits of assertiveness training can include—
- Feel better about yourself
- Get your needs met in healthy ways
- Improve your relationships
- Improve your confidence to handle new situations
Assertiveness Training in Phoenix,
Effective assertiveness skills can be learned. Deer Valley Counseling offers Assertiveness Training to people living in Phoenix, Glendale, Tempe, Mesa, Scottsdale and other cities in Arizona. The training is offered both in individual counseling and as a component of Anger Management. Passive or aggressive styles of interaction can leave you frustrated. Assertiveness training can help. Call 602.750.8051 if you would like to discuss assertiveness training.
We answer the phones 7 days a week between the hours of 7 am and 8 pm. We are open evenings and weekends including both Saturday and Sunday.