Bipolar Disorder Counseling
If you want to manage your bipolar disorder better and live in or near Phoenix, Chandler or Scottsdale, Arizona, call 602.750.8051.
Bipolar Disorder Symptoms
Bipolar disorders can severely affect your life, family, relationships, and career. Although a diagnosis can only be made by a qualified professional, some generalizations can be noted. People with a bipolar disorder tend to suffer from extreme mood swings between elation and depression.
Periods of Elevated Mood
- Inflated Self-Esteem. You know that you can do anything even if you have no prior experience or qualifications. You over-commit and make grandiose plans.
- Decreased Need for Sleep. You seem to be able to get by on just a few hours sleep a day.
- Extremely Talkative. You feel a need to talk incessantly.
- Racing Thoughts. Your thoughts seem to race.
- Distractible. You can be distracted by unimportant things.
- Goal-Directed Activity. You pursue goals or pleasure with extreme determination.
- Symptoms Cause Problems. These behaviors damage your relationships, career, family, and yourself. People you know are baffled and upset.
Periods of Depressed Mood
- Depressed Mood. You feel bad most of the time.
- Loss of Interest. You lose interest in activities that used to give you pleasure.
- Weight Loss. You lose interest in eating.
- Sleep Problems. You sleep too much or too little.
- Low Energy. You don't have the energy to perform life's tasks.
- Feelings of Worthlessness or Guilt. You feel you have no worth.
- Inability to Concentrate. You have problems concentrating on daily tasks.
- Mood Swings Not Related to Events. The mood swings baffle family, friends, and coworkers.
Bipolar disorder is also sometimes called manic depression.
A Counselor Can Help
- Identify Mood Swings. What signs tell you that you are experiencing an elevated or depressed mood?
- Identify Mood Swing Triggers. What are the events and feelings which trigger a mood swing.
- Adjust to Life Without the Extremes. If you achieve an equilibrium where you are not experiencing extreme mood swings, you may feel uncomfortable. You may miss the extreme elation. Counseling can help you adjust to a more stable pattern of moods.
- Self-Monitoring. Counseling can teach you the skills to know when you are beginning to experience a mood swing and may need an adjustment in your medication.
- Other Issues. Counseling can help you with other issues that you may have.
In some circumstance, you may also benefit from medication.
Benefits of Counseling for Bipolar Disorders
Bipolar disorder counseling can have these benefits—
- Improved relationships
- Fewer employment problems
- Avoid the extreme lows
- Set and achieve more realistic goals
Bipolar Disorder Treatment in the Phoenix Area
Effective skills to manage a bipolar disorder can be learned. Deer Valley Counseling offers bipolar treatment to people living in Phoenix, Glendale, Mesa, Chandler, Scottsdale and other cities in Arizona. Bipolar disorders can have serious consequences. Counseling can help. Call 602.750.8051 if you would like to discuss bipolar disorder counseling.
We answer the phones 7 days a week between the hours of 7 am and 8 pm. We are open evenings and weekends including both Saturday and Sunday.