Counseling for Parents of
Children with Special Needs
If you need counseling, are the parent of a child with a special need and live in or near Phoenix or Scottsdale, Arizona, call 602.750.8051.
Problems Encountered by Parents of Children with Disabilities
Do you feel like you have no power to affect the outcome of events around you?
- Imbalance in Caretaking. Does one parent feel like they are doing all the work?
- Emotional Imbalance. Does it seem like one parent lacks emotional involvement?
- Relationship Problems. Have problems in your relationship gotten worse?
- Stress. Do you never seem to have time to take care of yourself or your relationship with your significant other?
- Anger/Depression. Does one or both parents express extreme anger or else seem depressed?
- Sibling Issues. Do siblings act out in ways to gain attention? Are siblings confused as to how to feel or behave?
Counseling Can Help
Parents of children with disabilities need help coping, strengthening their relationship, and learning how to take better care of themselves. Counseling can help you—
- Learn That You Have Power.
There are some things you cannot control, but there are many things you can. It helps to be reminded of the things you do have the ability to affect.
- Balance Caretaking. You must learn to respect each other's style of caretaking and to communicate and negotiate caretaking roles, so that instead of simply reacting to situations, you can proactively address challenging problems.
- Respect Emotional Difference. Different people process emotions differently. One person may grieve openly. Another may feel so overwhelmed that they find some activity to distract themselves. These differences are part of being human and each is valid for that person.
- Process Feelings. In order to be there for your children, your relationship and yourself, you must move through the stages of grief in your own way. You must grieve the loss of the life you thought you were going to have.
- Take Care of Yourself. To be there fully for your child with special needs, your typical children, and your significant other, you must learn to take care of yourself, both emotionally and physically.
- Build a Healthy Relationship. You must also learn to take care of your relationship. If you thrive and your relationship thrives, your child with special needs will thrive to the best of his or her potential, and the whole family will thrive.
Benefits of Counseling
Counseling has the potential to improve your life, relationship and family in these ways—
- Relationship grows stronger
- Function better both emotionally and physically
- Better care for your child with special needs
- Better family life for your typical children
Counseling for Parents of Children with Special Needs in the Phoenix Area
Skills to better handle the challenges of caring for a child with special needs can be learned. Deer Valley Counseling offers counseling to couples living in Phoenix, Glendale, Mesa, Chandler, Scottsdale and other cities in Arizona. Call 602.750.8051 if you would like to talk about counseling options.
We answer the phones 7 days a week between the hours of 7 am and 8 pm. We are open evenings and weekends including both Saturday and Sunday.